A group therapy program is a form of psychotherapy where people with similar problems discuss them openly. It is often easier to overcome a problem when we talk about them with someone else. Furthermore, it is more beneficial to find someone who shares your struggles, as they can give you a shoulder to lean on at crucial moments. At the same time, bonding with other people in the same situation reassures you that you are never alone in your struggles. This is what a group therapy program accomplishes for clients dealing with similar disorders. At Atlanta Detox Center, we provide this group setting for you to help you overcome challenges.
The Role of Group Therapy in Addiction Treatment
Group therapy programs have two major roles in the recovery journey: outcome goals and process goals.
Outcome goals refer to the behavioral changes that the client hopes to achieve after the psychotherapy session. The therapy session will enable the client to learn by listening to the experiences of others. The clients can then modify their behavior accordingly using examples and the stories of others to help with their recovery.
Process goals aim at understanding the personal concerns of the clients during the therapy sessions. When the clients have sufficient time and listening ears, they can air out their issues. Talking about the issues helps with the healing process.
Apart from the above two goals, group therapy plays other roles. It helps clients cope with emotional difficulties by providing positive feedback channels. The program alleviates feelings of loneliness and alienation among the members by providing a platform where they share similar emotions.
Principles We Apply in Our Group Therapy Program
Our group therapy program at Atlanta Detox Center in GA follows a set of principles. These guide the interactions between the client and our Atlanta Detox Center staff. The goal of these principles is to derive the utmost benefit for all the parties in the session.
The principles include:
- Instillation of hope – This defines how the psychiatrist can conduct the session to generate and sustain the client’s desire to recover.
- The interpersonal learning principle – This dictates that the sessions should accommodate each member’s input as a source to learn from.
- Connection and universality – This principle proposes that group therapies should be comprised of different individuals that share similar problems. It is through the shared problems that they can form a connection with one another.
- Development or redevelopment of ideal social techniques – This principle guides on how these clients can get back to normalcy through the group therapy program.
Group Therapy Options
Our group therapy program in GA is robust. Several recovery plans are available to help clients cope with as little discomfort as possible.
Some of the group therapy programs we offer include:
- Expressive therapy – Here, the clients engage in expressive activities such as the art form of their choice. They get the chance to share and talk about each of their choices, which helps them channel their emotions towards something they love.
- Trauma-informed therapy – This program helps clients to deal with traumas from past events. They share their traumas, how they manage to cope with the effects, and the limitations that they are currently facing.
- Motivational interviews – In this program, clients discuss how to improve the qualities that help them overcome disorders.
- Family therapy – This is a group therapy that is exclusively for the client and their family members. The therapy helps the client to re-establish connections with their loved ones.
Enroll in the Group Therapy Program at Atlanta Detox Center Today
Do not let challenges in addiction recovery overwhelm you. Talk about them with someone you trust. Contact our residential addiction treatment program at 833.631.0534 for a group therapy program so you can receive the ultimate assistance and support.