Addiction is often a family issue because substance dependence affects the entire family system and the individuals battling it. Therefore, family therapy during the detox of a family member is vital. It has been proven that addiction treatment programs have better outcomes when family members or close associates are also involved in the treatment process.
At Atlanta Detox Center, our family therapy program is guaranteed to assist you or your family member through the miry waters of addiction. Learn more by contacting us online or calling us at 833.631.0534 today.
What Is Family Therapy in Addiction Recovery?
Families play an essential role in the treatment of any disease, including addiction. Researchers have proven that people are more likely to recover when they have family support. Family therapy during addiction treatment is beneficial to help resolve lingering family issues and dysfunctional transgenerational patterns. Addressing issues that have created an enabling environment for drug abuse, anger, resentment, and estrangement can help restore the family’s balance and well-being.
Therefore, sharing difficult emotions like fear, anger, disappointment, stress, shame, and frustration in a safe therapeutic environment can be life-changing for the individual involved and their family. Family therapy during detox can focus on varying problems as deemed appropriate by the family therapist, which include:
- Marital conflict
- Substance abuse
- Conflict resolution
- Domestic violence
During therapy sessions, family members collectively proffer real solutions and assistance to their loved one battling drug addiction.
The Goal of Family Therapy During Detox and Addiction Treatment
Several types of research have demonstrated the positive impact that family can have on a loved one’s recovery from addiction. Some goals of family therapy during detox include:
- Assist families in finding healing and peace as they journey through the effects of their loved one’s addiction problem
- Establish or re-establish healthy relationships between family members that are strained due to the effects of substance addiction
- Provide a medium through which family members can sort through their feelings and perceptions about the drug addiction that their loved ones are dealing with
- Address mental health issues like anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder
- Keep their loved ones engaged and motivated during addiction treatment
- Learn about addiction and its effects on the family
- Enable family members to voice feelings and concerns and ask questions about a loved one’s addiction
- Find out how to offer a loved one a high level of appropriate support after treatment.
- Develop skills and strategies to help a loved one stay on the path to recovery
- Improve family communication skills
Family Therapy at Atlanta Detox Center
At Atlanta Detox Center, following years of providing addiction treatment programs to clients, we have learned that family therapy during detox shouldn’t only be about helping patients learn how to stop abusing drugs but also about finding solutions to the root causes.
So, we offer family therapy during addiction treatment to create an avenue where individuals, including patients and their families, can learn more about themselves, the difficulties they face, and how best to overcome them.
Rebuild Relationships with Family Therapy at Atlanta Detox Center
Just like everyone needs a helping hand at one point in life, our team of professionals at Atlanta Detox Center is prepared to lend that support to you and your family. We also offer an alumni program specially designed to provide aftercare support in order to prevent any risk of relapse. Our comprehensive and compassionate care provides the skills families may need to rebuild relationships that may have been damaged or destroyed due to addiction.
Contact our team by calling 833.631.0534 or completing our confidential online form today for more information about our family therapy program.