Alcohol overdose, also known as alcohol poisoning, occurs when users take too much alcohol, increasing its concentration in the body to dangerous levels. The presence of excess alcohol in the blood can cause the shutting down of the brain. Since it is a depressant, alcohol affects both the mind and the central nervous system (CNS), resulting in the slowing down of body activities. As such, you need to understand the signs of alcohol overdose to seek medical attention from a drug and alcohol detox center in time.
The liver plays a crucial role in preventing entry of alcohol toxins into the bloodstream. However, over-drinking overwhelms the liver, and it can no longer perform its functions efficiently. Victims of alcohol overdose require emergency medical attention. If you’re seeking alcohol addiction treatment, contact Atlanta Detox Center at 833.631.0534.
What Are the Signs of Alcohol Overdose?
The symptoms of alcohol overdose can be mild or severe, depending on the amount that an individual has taken.
Some of the symptoms and signs that you may need addiction treatment therapies include:
- Slow breathing and body responses
- Stumbling and poor coordination
- Low body temperature (hypothermia)
- Trouble staying awake
- Slow heart pace
Severe cases of alcohol poisoning can lead to many complications, such as choking on one’s vomit and difficulty breathing due to vomit in the lungs, heart attack, and even death.
Causes of Alcohol Overdose
An overdose occurs when an individual consumes vast amounts of alcohol within a short time, also known as binge drinking. Binge drinking is among the leading causes of alcohol overdoses in the US.
Typically, binge drinking occurs when a man consumes five or more drinks in two hours. Women binge drinkers consume at least four drinks in less than two hours. Binge drinking can last for hours or several days.
One drink of alcohol is 12 ounces of beer. This is equivalent to five percent alcohol or eight to nine ounces of malt liquor, containing about seven percent alcohol. The amount is the same in five ounces of wine, containing twelve percent alcohol.
Mixed alcoholic drinks consist of more than one serving of alcohol, increasing their time of metabolism. Consider the type of alcoholic beverage that you or your loved ones may have consumed as you try to identify the signs of alcohol overdose and seek help from an alcohol detox center.
Although you can drink a dangerous dose before passing out, the alcohol effects continue to occur even when you are unconscious or no longer drinking. The intestines and bloodstream continue to absorb more from the stomach. As a result, the level of alcohol in the body continues to rise.
Seek Treatment for Alcohol Overdose
If you drink fatal volumes of alcohol, the doctor may consider getting rid of unabsorbed alcohol from your stomach to prevent it from getting into the bloodstream.
At a residential addiction treatment program, doctors will administer IV fluids and put you or your loved one on oxygen machines to facilitate breathing. They may use medications to remove toxins from the bloodstream.
After stabilizing, you will need to attend an alcohol addiction treatment program, such as Atlanta Detox Center, to address your alcohol use disorder’s root cause. At rehab, you will benefit from various treatment programs, such as:
Doctors diagnose alcohol overdose based on the symptoms. Healthcare providers also carry further tests, including blood and urine tests, to determine the body’s alcohol level. Once the healthcare experts establish that you are experiencing an alcohol overdose, they recommend appropriate treatment options to assist you in recovery.
Learn More at Atlanta Detox Center Today
It is essential to avoid consuming too much alcohol to prevent continually wondering what the signs of alcohol overdose are? Always seek prompt medical attention by calling 911 if you are experiencing any of the overdose signs. Contact Atlanta Detox Center at 833.631.0534 for more details on alcohol overdose and addiction treatment.