Heroin is a derivative of opium that affects the reward centers in the brain, initially producing a rush of euphoria and providing pain relief. Those effects are short-lived, however, and tolerance to the drug soon develops. So people take it again and again in greater doses hoping to find that same rush. With continued use of heroin, one can expect many health issues, including a high risk for Hepatitis C, HIV, dental problems, chronic respiratory illness, serial impotence, skin issues, and depression. If you struggle with heroin addiction, you can find hope for the future and a path out of addiction at a drug detox center.
At Atlanta Detox Center, you can detox in a safe, comfortable environment in our heroin detox center while you begin to work through the causes of addiction. Contact Atlanta Detox Center using our online form or by calling us at 833.631.0534 today to learn more about the effects of heroin detox.
Effects of Heroin Detox
Withdrawal symptoms are the physical and psychological side effects that occur when someone who routinely abuses drugs or alcohol suddenly stops their consumption. Heroin is a highly addictive drug to quit, but it’s possible.
Each individual’s journey with heroin addiction is different, and you may experience withdrawal symptoms based on your unique characteristics, as well as other factors. However, some heroin withdrawal symptoms are more common than others.
Some common heroin withdrawal symptoms your body goes through:
- Severe muscle aches and pain – You may notice extreme aching in your muscles and limbs. Also, you may be more sensitive to pain in general, as heroin typically blocks or diminishes these sensations.
- Extreme perspiration – You will start sweating after two days of heroin withdrawal. You may also experience shaking and chills as your body recovers from the absence of heroin. In addition, many people in withdrawal will develop a fever.
- Insomnia – Heroin withdrawal often causes sleep difficulties. While you detox from heroin, you may find it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep. You may also yawn more often than usual.
- Mood changes – Going through heroin withdrawal may cause you to feel unruly and agitated. Depression and anxiety are also commonly experienced during detox. You will find it easier to deal with these symptoms when emotional support is available from friends, family, or other sources.
- Gastrointestinal disturbances – When you are detoxing from heroin, gastrointestinal problems are common. For example, after the drug has left your system, you may start to notice nausea and stomach pangs. Vomiting and diarrhea are also common during the heroin withdrawal process.
These symptoms are just a few of the effects of heroin detox that your body goes through. Many people also experience intense cravings for heroin, dilated pupils, and excessive bodily fluids during heroin detoxification.
Our Heroin Detox in Georgia
At Atlanta Detox Center, our detox program is designed to give you access to the emotional support that helps you stay focused on recovery as you go through this difficult time. All of our programs are customized to meet your needs, so you can be sure you’re getting the best services available for your specific situation.
While at our drug detox center, we also want you to feel comfortable. That’s why we have both private and semi-private rooms and bathrooms to help you rest as you recover from the harmful effects of heroin dependence. Several recreational activities are available on our campus so that you can take your mind off of the stress of addiction. In group therapy, you’ll find support from others who have walked down a similar road.
We also offer several therapeutic modalities, including cognitive-behavioral therapy, group therapy, trauma-focused therapy, family therapy, and all levels of addiction treatment to help you recover from your addiction completely after the heroin withdrawal process.
In addition to our heroin detox program, we offer several other programs and treatments, including:
- Men’s detox center
- Women’s detox center
- Alcohol detox center
- Alcohol addiction treatment program
- Addiction treatment therapy
Begin Your Recovery with Heroin Detox at Atlanta Detox Center
To learn more about Atlanta Detox Center, contact our admissions team today. We are ready to answer your questions and help you take the next step towards your recovery. You can start rebuilding your life by calling us at 833.631.0534 or completing our online form.